Little is known about The Hermitage, but its location is on the western side of the island on Long Cove.
This image of downtown Vinalhaven can be easily dated, as the first telephone service was established in 1895 and gas lights came to Main Street in 1903.
Looking east across Vinalhaven’s harbor one can see in the distance the buildings owned and operated by the Lane-Libby Fisheries Company.
In 1887 Vinalhaven’s first “public library” became a reality, thanks to the generosity of the Bodwell Granite Company, which leased a room, and the granite workers themselves, who donated $118 toward the cost of books and supplies.
Vinalhaven had, at one time, eleven school districts. In 1896, district #4 closed and was relocated to the newly built Washington School.
This power plant, owned and operated by the Vinalhaven Light and Power Company, began operation in 1914.