Shown here are the original buildings of Alford Lake Camp, the girls’ camp on the eastern shore of Alford Lake, on the Alford Lake Road. The camp was founded in 1924 by Dorothy Blood of Newton Centre, Massachusetts and has been in operation since then. It is one of a number of summer camps that have operated in Hope: Beaver Camp for Girls (founded 1910); Megunticook Camp for Boys; Highfields (1927); Hatchet Mountain Camp for Boys (1927); and Camp Merestead (1938; now Bishopswood Camp of the Episcopal Diocese of Maine)

Donovan Bowley
Hope Historical Society
Ref. Anna Hardy’s History of Hope

Catalog Number LB2007.1.111932