The photo shows Winchenpaw’s General Store with a gas pump in front.  Ray Winchenpaw and Charles Wallace acquired Westerland’s Hall in the 1930s from a bank for $2,000 and started a grocery business in the building.  Charles drowned in 1935, after having sold out to Ray his share of the store and hall.  Ray continued the business alone with the help of his wife and daughter until his death in 1950.  His family ran the grocery business until 1957, at which time the town bought the building and used it for a town hall.  The front was used as a library.  The building has since been torn down and in its place now stands the Friendship Public Library built in 1980s.

Margaret Gagnon
Friendship Historical Society

Catalog Number LB2007.1.100861