This image of downtown Vinalhaven can be easily dated, as the first telephone service was established in 1895 and gas lights came to Main Street in 1903. By 1914, the Vinalhaven Light and Power Company was founded, and electric street lights came into use.
Note the architecture of the buildings, most of which still stand today. The large structure to the right of the center was once home to the Bodwell Granite Company Store and, later, the A&P grocery store. That building burned to the ground in 1967. Fraternal organizations, a bank, a bowling alley, barber shops, the post office, and other smaller businesses were housed in the remaining buildings.
Vinalhaven Historical Society