The building was constructed for Union area Masons in 1925-26 on the site of a similar building that burned in 1925. The Masonic rooms were above commercial rental space. Gorden’s grocery and hardware, the post office, the Vose Library, and other businesses were there over the years. The building burned in 1997 and was replaced by Union’s current grocery, the Common Market.
The war memorial has recently been enlarged with granite markers naming Union’s veterans. The photo was taken looking north from the center of Union Common. At one time there were as many as four separate grocery/general store businesses on Union Common. The commercial building at the left still exists.
Dave & Suzy Shaub
Union Historical Society