In 1892, Edgar F. Hanson built his lavish mansion, Colonia Villa, on Northport Avenue, opposite what is now City Park. He was a newspaper and magazine publisher, general manager of Dana Sarsaparilla, and ten-term mayor. The plans for the house were drawn up by George Barber & Co., a mail order architectural firm specializing in homes for the rural wealthy. It reportedly cost $40,000, a large sum for the time.
The house changed hands several times in the early years of the 20th century and succumbed to a fire in 1923. The house lot remained vacant until 1930, when it was purchased by two Belfast restaurateurs who opened The Bluebird Terrace cafe, catering to tourists motoring into town on Route 1. The building is now owned by the Waldo County Shrine Club.
Contributed By: Megan Pinette, Belfast Historical Society