This is the second incarnation of the Mt. Waldo Granite Company which sat on the shore of the Penobscot River on what is now Rt. 1A. The Mt. Waldo quarry officially opened in 1853 and in 1880, the business Mt. Waldo Granite Works was incorporated. Their specialty was cutting paving stones. Oxen were the first means of hauling granite from the quarry to the wharf on the Penobscot River and they were eventually replaced by a railway. The wharf had 300 feet of deep water frontage and two derricks of 20 ton capacity each loaded massive blocks onto waiting schooners which could carry as much as 1300 tons. Schooners were used exclusively until 1911 and then large barges used. Eventually the railroad arrived in Frankfort from Stockton and allowed a quicker and better method of transporting granite.
In the spring of 1916, the Mt. Waldo Granite Works filed for bankruptcy and in 1923 a fire destroyed the buildings and cutting sheds. In 1930, the property was purchased an Italian immigrant, Bruno Grenci and his partner Thomas Ellis. After 20 years of inactivity, Mt. Waldo again came to life, returning Frankfort to the busy era it had once been with the opening of the Mt. Waldo Granite Company. A new railway was laid, a steel derrick was built at the wharf and a large steel stone shed was constructed as seen in this photograph. The plant employed close to 100 men. During WWII, quarry operations were difficult and the company was forced to close from 1942-1945 due to a lack of steel for saws and the buildings in this photographed were dismantled and shipped to South Portland for the war effort. New buildings were built in 1945 and the business continued until 1966. The granite shed briefly became “Mohammed’s Mountain Marina” and then the “Bargain Palace”, a discount used clothing outlet before being razed in 1966 and the site is now a state park.
Help From: Robert Drew, Frankfort Historian