This Queen Anne style house was built about 1880 for Henry H. Bowles by noted Cherryfield architect and builder Charles Allen. It stood out among Cherryfield’s many fine Federal and Greek Revival homes. Mr. Bowles was a storekeeper with a large building at the Lower Corner, now gone, occupied a law office, tinsmith, and other businesses. In the 1920s, when this photograph was taken, it was the Narraguagus Inn, one of three Cherryfield businesses that bore that name at one time or another. It was one of several boarding houses in town, which housed mill employees, travelers, and students at Cherryfield Academy.
This inn later became the Salmon Lodge, which catered to a clientele of recreational salmon fishermen when the Narraguagus River teemed with salmon. The building burned in 1962. By the 1970s the salmon were gone.
Caption information provided by Kathy Upton