During the 1890s, Main Street developed as Northeast Harbor’s commercial center in response to the summer colony’s need for a variety of goods and services.

By the early 1900s, attractive business blocks lined the street, including, from left to right, the Small, Staples & Company drugstore; Smith’s Dry Goods; the brick Joy Block of 1901; the Post Office; and Kimball’s Grocery Store of 1897.

Catalog Number LB2007.1.102243