The Ocean House is believed to have been built in the 1830s as a rooming house for mariners. It was operated as early as 1851 by Ira Gilman and later by James Brennan, who had a saloon there that drew customers who enjoyed imbibing on the front porch. The original hotel burned in 1888 and was replaced by the“New Ocean House.” George Gilman was the owner in 1883.
Many summer people would stay at the New Ocean House while either opening or closing their cottages.
Information provided by Gene Dalrymple