This store was on Salt Pond Road at its intersection with Cushing Road (Route 97). It was established by the Ornes after Cook’s store, across the road, went out of business. Carl and Rena Fales took it over. The area at one after time was called Daggetts Corner, after Captain Josiah Daggett, who established the first store there in 1878.
Lydia Simmons, who did research on East Friendship for a report when she was in third grade, learned that her great-grandmother, Marilyn Starrett Pitcher, used to walk to the store to get groceries. She her husband Ronald operated the farm that had belonged to her father, Ralph Starrett, where they raised dairy cows and potatoes. The Pitchers used to go from house to house in their car, filling milk bottles. There were once many farms in the area, but only one working farm remains today.
There were once a church and a school near the crossroads. The VFW now occupies the schoolhouse. The building that housed Ornes’ store is currently vacant. Shelves for merchandise, the worn wooden floor, and other remnants of the store remain.
Information from Lydia and Stacey Simmons