Alfred Mullett, the well known architect for the U.S. Treasury Department, designed the Second Empire Post Office and Customs House for Rockland in 1873. Mullett, famous for designing post offices and customs houses using local materials, also designed the Customs House in Portland. For the Rockland Post Office Mullett used granite from the Bodewell Granite Co. in Vinalhaven.
The Rockland Post Office occupied the first floor; and the Customs House, where goods arriving by sea had to be registered, occupied the second floor. The Post Office and Customs House filled what is now a parking lot between Limerock Street and School Street. It was torn down in 1970.
Rockland Historical Society