At the heart of the original town of Appleton, at the junction of the Burkettville Road (now Route 105) and Collinstown Road, was the once-busy village of Burkettville. It was named for early settler Andrew Burkett, founder of the store and proprietor of the principal sawmill. The Miller family acquired the store in the 1800s and ran it until its last proprietor, George A. Miller, retired in 1895. Dr. Royce Miller noted in his History of Burkettville that at its closing all outstanding debts, including some over a hundred years old, were canceled. The Millers had quietly carried some people through hard times.
One of Appleton’s five post offices in the early and mid-1900s (North Appleton, McLain’s Mills, Elmwood. West Appleton, and Burkettville) was located in this store. The store’s several barns and sheds, extending to the left of the large white store building, housed grain, flour, kerosene, molasses, and other bulk items. The large Miller house still stands across from the site of the store, which was demolished in 2010 after standing vacant for many years.
Burkettville was the principal settlement in the original town of Appleton, before one third of the original town of Hope, including Smith’s and McLaine’s Mills, was added to Appleton in 1843. Thus some local folks refer to Burkettville as “the Capital of Appleton.” Though the once vital Miller store is now gone, the village around it is still active, and its Madomac Valley Grange still thrives.
Appleton Historical Society