This c. 1910 image shows the mill pond on the Orange River with the road to Lubec (Route 189) in the foreground. The building facing the road was a private home, which is now gone. The sawmill was owned by Boynton and Estes at the time. Alan Crane operated a box mill in the building through the 1940s until it burned in 1954.
The road to the right of the mill that climbs the hill is Route 1 to East Machias. The 2 ½-story building on the right before the field was the Grange Hall at the time. After the grange disbanded, it became the Town Hall; the building was razed in 1988. The post office was in the house on the other side of the field. It used to be common for the post office to be located in the postmaster’s home or a local store. That building and the houses beyond are still there.
Caption information provided by Dr. Harold Crosby