The Eastern Illustrating and Printing Company vehicle is parked near Eugene F. Harrington’s store and the South Thomaston post office . Harrington, who was postmaster from 1914 to 1918, leased the first floor; the second floor was a tenement. The building, which was on the northwest side of the Route 73 (Seal Harbor Road) bridge, was constructed in the 1840s by George Thorndike, who operated a store there until 1855. Known through its history as the Thorndike Building, it had a succession of owners until it was torn down about 1951. Its last use was as a pool hall.
A gasworks in two small buildings next to the store once made coal gas for South Thomaston’s street lights.
Info provided by Bill Colby
South Thomaston Historical Society