This view is of Washington Village looking west. This area was once known as Starrett’s Mills. William Starrett built and operated the first mill her, long Little Medomak Stream, which flowed from Medomak Lake. Over the years William Starrett’s mill changed owners, but it continued in operation into the late 1940s. Soon others business came, including a tannery, stores, and two hotels, and people started building their homes here.
The earliest record of the store in this photograph is on a late 1800’s map when the store was operated by a Benner. By 1911J. L. Burns was operating the store, then Harold Kaler, who may have owned it at the time of this photo. Ben Lincoln and Ben Ware were the first to bring cars to Washington. Ben Lincoln was owned and operated the mill that had been built by William Starrett.
Washington Historical Society