This power plant, owned and operated by the Vinalhaven Light and Power Company, began operation in 1914. It was first powered by coal and later by diesel fuel. People remember the constant low hum from the plant, which could be heard over much of the island. The island’s power was generated here for several decades until 1977, when the first underwater cable line was connected. Since 2009, electricity for both North Haven and Vinalhaven has come from three wind-powered turbines. (A new underwater cable enables excess power to be sent to the mainland grid, and when needed, power can be sent to the islands).
Vinalhaven Historical Society