This hotel is the Princeton House, which had a long history of providing lodging. It was built by Putham Rolfe in the early 1800s. Peter Carle purchased the Princeton House in 1839 and turned it into a tavern. A story has been perpetuated that his wife would have nothing to do with the rum and whiskey business and left him, smashing many of the barrels on her way out. Later, Sam Frisbie owned the Princeton House. His brother Hudson ran a general store next to the hotel. In 1872 proprietor Gardner Lovering added a third story.
On July 28, 1943 fire destroyed the building along with the old Frisbie-Buck store and McDougall’s Hairdressing Parlors and dwelling.
Caption information provided by Sharon Norman