In 1887 Vinalhaven’s first “public library” became a reality, thanks to the generosity of the Bodwell Granite Company, which leased a room, and the granite workers themselves, who donated $118 toward the cost of books and supplies. By 1906, circulation at the library had so increased that a committee was appointed, who, in turn, appealed to steel magnate Andrew J. Carnegie for help in constructing a new building. At the time Carnegie was funding libraries across the country, and he generously donated $5200 toward the Vinalhaven project. The structure was built of Jonesboro red and Vinalhaven light gray granite. In 1907 the new Vinalhaven Public Library was dedicated. On August 15, 2007, one hundred years later to the day, the town celebrated a one million dollar addition, which improved, upgraded and enlarged the facility, making it one of the finest small libraries in New England.
Vinalhaven Historical Society