Summer guests are playing croquet on the west lawn of the Samoset Hotel in the early part of the twentieth century. A syndicate of Rockland businessmen hired contractor William H. Glover to build the grand Queen Anne style Bay Point Hotel on Jameson’s Point overlooking Owl’s Head Bay in 1890. The fashionable resort with its swimming, sailing, golf, horseback riding, dancing, and fine cuisine attracted wealthy summer people from Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C.
The Ricker family of Poland Springs, Maine, purchased the Bay Point Hotel in 1902. They enlarged it, renamed it the Sam-O-Set, and added it to their chain of resort hotels. The Maine Central Railroad purchased the Samoset in the 1920s to promote summer tourism. The hotel closed and burned to the ground in 1972. It was rebuilt on the same site and reopened on September 6, 1974 as the Samoset Resort and Hotel and is still popular today.
Rockland Historical Society