Brothers Daniel James Sawyer and Edward Mansfield Sawyer had this building constructed on Sawyer’s Square in 1896 at a cost of $2485. It replaced their original store, which was located where the present Jonesport Marina Building is. This building housed a general store, ship chandlery, and customs office. During WWII the U. S. Navy had a dental office in the building, and the U. S. Coast Guard dispensed refrigerated goods to the people of Jonesport from here. The
Worcester-Sawyer Insurance Agency occupied the building from 1932 to 1994. In January 1936 the top two floors became the Masonic Lodge.
In January, 2011 John Vassar Sawyer II, the great-grandson of Edward Mansfield Sawyer, donated the building and its contents to the Jonesport Historical Society. The first floor now houses a museum and restored U.S. Customs Office from the late 1890s.
The building behind the Sawyer store was Charles Henry Mansfield’s General Store and the telegraph office. Mansfield, only four feet and eight inches tall, was a successful businessman and landowner. He doubled the size of the original building and moved it 90 degrees. Today the building is the Harbor House bed & breakfast and an antiques store.
Caption contributed by Donald C. Woodward, President of Jonesport Historical Society