The Warren Shoe Manufacturing Co. building was moved from Rockland to Warren on the Four Rod Road in 1871. It was erected by W.H. Glover on the western bank of the Georges River at a cost of $800. Work began in the factory on January 3, 1872. Rice & Hutchins made shoes there from 1876 to 1913. Elmer Overlock and his crew took down the building circa 1930. He sold the windows from the building as fast as they could be removed for $1.00 each.
This photograph (102832) shows the Rice & Hutchins shoe factory on the western bank of the Georges River. It was taken before the Woolen Mill was built. The buildings in the foreground were boat shops. The boat building industry was slowing down at this time, however. Most of the large vessels were being built in Thomaston. The last large ship, a bark, was built in Warren in 1851.
Warren Historical Society