Small frame commercial buildings run along the harbor side of Main Street, Stonington, in this circa 1910 photograph of one of Maine’s major granite producing communities.

From left to right are Fred E. Webb’s shoe store, the Central Grocery Store, the Post Office, and Charles W. Brimigion’s barber shop.

Note Brimigion’s extraordinary folk art trade side with its eagle, American shield, and sideways barber pole.

The fish market sign directs shoppers down the alley to a waterfront establishment.

Catalog Number LB2007.1.102609