This view shows Route 131 as it enters the village.  The second building on the right is the Ocean House, a popular lodging facility that began business in the 1850s.    About 1854 or 1855 it hosted approximately 4000 guests whose travels along the coast took them through the Port Clyde gut.  Andrew Wyeth stayed at the Ocean House on early visits to the St. George Peninsula.   The hotel is still in business, but the buildings on the left side of the road are gone

Info provided by James Skoglund
St. George Historical Society

Catalog Number LB2010.9.117539