The nationally known Camden Amphitheatre is located on the grounds of the Camden Public Library. This public park was designed by the internationally known landscape architect, Fletcher Steele. Construction began in 1928 and was completed in 1931. Known as the Camden Amphitheatre, it was given to the town by Mary Louise Curtis Bok, daughter of Cyrus H.K. Curtis of Curtis Publishing Co. The landscape is known for its grass terraces and stonewalls with a planting design that evokes the woods of Maine. In this view, taken from across Atlantic Avenue, the amphitheatre gatehouses are prominent.

Elizabeth Moran
Camden Public Library

Catalog Number LB2007.1.100396