The Arcade was built in 1926 along Route 1 and owned by R.K. Dennison of East Machias. This popular destination attracted locals and tourists alike. It had a theater with 500 seats; the movie “Knockout Reilly” with Richard Dix was being shown when this photo was taken in 1927. It also had an ice cream parlor and dining room. Across the road was a boarding house, and three overnight cabins were available for travelers. Rooms rented for $1.00 a night. Gasoline and oil were also available.
One night in September someone put a cigarette butt in the waste container, and the Arcade burned down.
Information provided by the East Machias Historical Society