This photo shows a small section of Cony Park in the mid 1930s. The park was between Broad Cove and Deep Cove at the entrance to Shackford Head. Note the 3-masted schooner in the background behind the swing set, and further back, the bow and gunwhale of a half-submerged wreck. The area occupied by the park was once known as the Cony farm.
A descendent donated the land to the City of Eastport in the 1920s for a park. In the early 1930s the city had W.P.A. crews build the park, which consisted of tennis courts, a baseball diamond, swings, camping areas, and fireplaces.
During World War II the park was taken over by the U.S. Navy, which by 1944 had constructed a seaplane ramp on the Deep Cove side. After the war the land was returned to the city, which used it as a dump until the late 1970s, when the state ordered it closed.
In the early 1990s the state opened Shackford Head State Park next to the former dump site. The state leased a small portion of land from Eastport for an entrance from the Deep Cove Road, where the Civil War Ships Memorial-Monument and parking lot are.
Caption written by Wayne Wilcox