Treasure Point has long been one of the choicest spots in Knox County. Trees now cover the property, but the area called “Waldo’s Reserve,” on early maps, used to have open fields and long views along the St. George River toward Thomaston. Treasure seekers apparently thought it was a likely place to find pirates’ treasure and named it accordingly. The Hilts, a German family from Waldoboro, bought the 130-acre parcel in the early 1800s and built the hip roof house, the only one of that style in the area. Charles Hilt built three vessels in a shipyard there in the 1830s. The Hilts sold the property to the Snows in 1906, and it is still known as Snow Point.
The parcel was subdivided about twenty years ago, but the well-kept early house on the point still has a local owner.
Info provided by James Skoglund
St. George Historical Society