When lumber was king in Cherryfield, the banks of the Narragaugus River were thick with lumber awaiting shipment. In the decades after the Civil War, local mills produced 12 to 15 million board feet of lumber a year as well as other wood products. Logging camps upriver cut timber, “branded” the logs, and sluiced them down to Stillwater Pond, where the logs would be sorted according to each company’s marks. Products from Cherryfield mills were loaded on small sloops or barged to Millbrook for shipment far and wide.
Across the river, from left to right, are the Nickels House, Campbell–Burbank House, Adams House, and the Baptist Parsonage. The Adams house was a boarding house run by Charles Adams for mill workers. The Wilson Steam Mill, just before the covered bridge, was the only steam mill on the Narragaugus River. Beyond it is the Nash building. The covered bridge, built in 1848, was one of two vehicle bridges in town; the other was at the Upper Corner. Until 1940, there was a footbridge between the two.
Caption information provided by Kathy Upton