The Roque Bluffs Baptist Church was dedicated July 23, 1902. Fundraising for its construction was done by the Ladies Improvement Society, organized in February 1893. In the beginning the plan was to finish the basement of the school for the students, and use the main level for worship, but by early 1900 the plan was to build an entirely new building. James P. Tupper of Roque Bluffs offered the land, and $600 had been pledged by mid-March. By the end of the year the ladies had decided on the dimensions of the building and chosen Herbert Long to be in charge of construction.
Fundraising was by suppers at the school (and later at the still unfinished church), pie sales, quilt drawings, and lawn sales. At times the ladies catered to large excursions from out of town. On a nice day in July shortly before the church was dedicated, they set up shop out front and sold clam chowder and coffee to passersby.
Seven ministers attended the dedication in July. The service was in two sessions with a meal following the first session. By the end of the day, the entire remaining debt for the construction had been eliminated by contributions and pledges.
Caption written by John Preston