Rising like the phoenix from the ashes, the Colonial Theatre was rebuilt in 1924 following the fire which destroyed the original theater built in 1912. In addition to showing movies, popular entertainments included stage shows, lectures, boxing matches, bathing beauty contests and “get rich quick nights.”
Next door to the theater, Central Maine Power opened a storefront office and advertised itself with a large electric sign. One could pay bills, buy a new all-electric appliance, or take a class in how to use the new equipment. The gas pump on the other side belonged to a Ford dealership and was one of twenty-eight filling stations in the downtown.
Contributed by: Megan Pinette, Belfast Historical Society