Following a split in the congregation of the First Church, the North Church was built in 1831 on Market Street, between High and Church streets. The architect was Col. B. S. Dean of Thomaston. During the summer of 1889 An extension to the church edifice, containing a large lecture room and parlor was completed. At that time eight stained glass windows were substituted for the old ones.
In 1921, the Congregationalists sold their church to the Frank D. Hazeltine Post 43 of the American Legion and reunited with the Unitarians at the First Church. Following the sale, the addition was “daintily appointed” and used by the Belfast Business Professional Women’s Club throughout the 1930s as their meeting room. The American Legion still owns the building.
Contributed by: Megan Pinette, Belfast Historical Society