The Puddle Dock, Dock Square, Sandy Beach are all names used through the years to describe the harbor front land just south of the bridge. It was originally used for dockage purposes, the water being let in by a sluiceway at high tide. In the mid-1870’s the railroad tracks crossed the open water on trestles which were later filled in with rock and earth. The tide was then allowed to flow through openings in the berm. In this photograph, far left, we see the sardine packing plant built in 1911. The wooden bridge is yet to be replaced by the more modern cement bridge built in 1921. This part of Belfast has traditionally been a mix of modest dwellings and commercial/industrial businesses.
What’s interesting to note is the lack of trees on the East side, Patterson Hill is clearly visible.
Contributed By: Megan Pinette, Belfast Historical Society