Burnham is on the outermost northern boundary of Waldo County. It is eight miles in length north to south, and the same east and west. An agricultural town, Burnham was originally called Twenty-five Mile Pond Plantation and was incorporated in 1824. The village has had a tannery; lumber, shingle and stave mills; a shoe factory; and a brickyard. In 1871 the town had an inn called “The Rail Road House,” as Burnham Station was a stop for the B & A Railroad. One of the most recent businesses was the Ethan Allen Furniture Company, whose furniture has gone around the world.
Contributed by: Isabel Marsh Meresh, Waldo County Historian