This view is of Main Street in Morrill looking north toward Bangor, also known today as Rt. 131. The two buildings on the right and left in the foreground were mills that sat on the mill stream that connects the Smith Mill Pond and the Passagassawakeag River. One of the major mill products in Morrill was lime casks. Further up the road on the left one can see the corner of the Smith House. Built in 1805, it was the first framed building in Morrill, though at the time the town was known as Green Plantation and part of North Belmont. Morrill was incorporated March 3, 1855, being named in honor of Hon. Anson P. Morrill, then governor of the State. On the right in the distance is the church which served four different denominations, each taking one Sunday in the month. It was built in 1847 and burned down in 1972. A new church has since been built on the site. The word “HARD” at the bottom of the image was an instruction for printing the postcard, meaning it was a dense or overexposed negative and needed a strong exposure to print.
Help from: Victor Voss, Morrill Hoistorical Society