The house on the right is one of the oldest houses in Waite, built by Ed Ripley in the 19th century. The home on the left, owned and occupied by Earl and Ada Ripley, was destroyed by fire in 1932. The fire was of unknown origin. It was a very windy day, the Sunday before Labor Day, and nearly everyone was out of town. The strong wind took the sparks or flying pieces of wood from one house to another, skipping some. Five homes were devastated. The McPike house was bypassed as were four others in town.
Caption written by Joyce Middleton