On November 10, 1938, the laid-up steamer Vinal Haven snagged her guardrail, listed enough to fill with water, and sunk at the dock. She’d already been replaced by the W.S. White, so to no one’s surprise, after being raised from her Tillson’s Wharf berth, she was deposited in the shallower water next to an unused wharf in Lermond’s Cove. Ultimately, she was stripped and towed to Sheep Island, off Owls Head, and left there to die on the beach.
Vinal Haven was originally built in Searsport in 1892, and later rebuilt and lengthened to 100 feet.