It’s early morning in Rockland Harbor and there’s no wind. »Read More
More crowded these days, but no less sheltered, Camden’s inner harbor affords the perfect winter berthing »Read More
On November 10, 1938, the laid-up steamer Vinal Haven snagged her guardrail, listed enough to fill with water, and sunk at the dock. »Read More
At Holiday Beach in Owls Head, and at other places along the Maine coast in the 1930s and ‘40s, no one much cared if a few traps and a boat or two sat out the winter. »Read More
Albert Condon’s drawings for this 110’ dragger are, like all his work, very detailed. There’s no guessing the size, shape, and location of the pieces that go into building her. »Read More
The 184’ Theoline was launched from the Francis Cobb yard in Rockland in 1917 as a coal carrier. She foundered in 1942 off Panama. She is in Camden at the P.G. Willey Company wharf delivering coal.
How could anyone interested in sailing vessels resist climbing aboard this pair? »Read More
Family lore had this as a model of the clipper ship Flying Cloud, but the flag shows Red Jacket. »Read More
The late Kennedy Crane (Rockland’s Senter-Crane department store) owned this handsome Friendship Sloop and kept her summers off his cottage at Dynamite Beach in Owls Head. »Read More
After languishing at Snow’s in Rockland, a new owner refurbished the George E. Klinck and put her back in service, the final phase being carried out in Camden. »Read More
Here is more of Capt. Swift’s fleet, laid up along Camden Shipbuilding’s wharves for the winter. »Read More
Although these three schooners have been tied up for the winter in Camden next to what is now Wayfarer Marine, and are ice-bound, some sails have yet to be taken ashore. »Read More
The yard crew guides the three-master Edward R. Smith onto Snow’s big railway for caulking and painting on the first day of June, 1940.
This 565-ton schooner was built in 1911 in Phippsburg.
Carl Beckman’s 79’ dragger slides overboard September, 16th, 1939. Four months later, Clyson Coffin’s 110’ dragger, now in frame beyond Pelican, will be christened as the St. George. »Read More