Glendon Lowe of Corea, with a basket of lobsters. Published February 1955.
Frank Nunan ran his “Fisherman’s Supply Store” on his pier on Spicer’s Island, Cape Porpoise, ca. 1935.
This view is of Washington Village looking east. William Starrett’s Mill would have been located just out of sight on the left. »Read More
This view is of Washington Village looking west. This area was once known as Starrett’s Mills. »Read More
This view is of Washington Village looking north. At the junction the road goes north toward Liberty to the left and right on the Old Union Road to Union. »Read More
The Warren Shoe Manufacturing Co. building was moved from Rockland to Warren on the Four Rod Road in 1871. »Read More
This picture was taken from in front of the present library in Warren, looking east toward the Georges River. Hotel Warren was built by Col. Thatcher and run by Seth Weatherbee. »Read More
As a boy Frank E. Poland spent his summers at his ancestral home in Washington. »Read More
This picture was taken looking west on Main Street. The first building on the right is on the corner of Union and Main Streets. »Read More
The corner of the building on the right is part of the Warren Hotel. The large three-story is the original Odd Fellows building. »Read More
The first building on the right was a restaurant, called The Mill Syde when this photograph was taken. It survived until the 1960s, when it was demolished. »Read More
Lifesaver Cabins advertised, “Everything for your comfort – Electric lights, city running water, Lunchroom, short orders and refreshments. »Read More
Little is known about The Hermitage, but its location is on the western side of the island on Long Cove. »Read More
This image of downtown Vinalhaven can be easily dated, as the first telephone service was established in 1895 and gas lights came to Main Street in 1903. »Read More
Looking east across Vinalhaven’s harbor one can see in the distance the buildings owned and operated by the Lane-Libby Fisheries Company. »Read More
In 1887 Vinalhaven’s first “public library” became a reality, thanks to the generosity of the Bodwell Granite Company, which leased a room, and the granite workers themselves, who donated $118 toward the cost of books and supplies. »Read More