Vinalhaven had, at one time, eleven school districts. In 1896, district #4 closed and was relocated to the newly built Washington School. The building, foundation, land, heat and seats set the town back about $6600 but were “highly approved by all who visited the premises.” The four-room school housed students in kindergarten through grade four, (and occasionally grade five) for several decades before closing for good in 1973. The building since has had many uses and in 2005, after a $350,000 renovation, is now home to the Vinalhaven Town Office.
Vinalhaven Historical Society