Although a fire in had destroyed 14 structures along the Machiasport waterfront in 1893, it was again a busy place about 1910, when this photo was taken. The large building on the left, next to the schooner at the Stuart Boatyard, is the W. S. Cates clam factory. Clams and sardines were important industries at the time, and the Machiasport Canning Company and Booth Fisheries had sardine factories on the waterfront.
The Congregational Church stands on the hill along Route 92. Note the tugboat Emmel B. Jones docked at the pier. The three-story white house was built in 1810 by Nathan Gates, who died insolvent six years later at age 33. The Gates House is now home of the Machiasport Historical Society, which also owns the Cooper House, once home of Gates’ married daughter, next door. The Samuel Small General Store stands next to the Gates house, beyond which are the remains of the Whitneyville and Machiasport Railroad wharves.
Caption information from Albert Sousa and the Machiasport Historical Society