Ship's Bell

Ship's bell with clapper and lanyard, from the vessel Evelyn. Bell is 11" high and 11" in diameter. While there were dozens of vessels named Evelyn, this bell came from a Searsport family and may well have been aboard a Searsport built bark, Evelyn, built in 1851.

Bells were used aboard ship to mark every half hour, with eight bells every four hours marking the change in watches.

Database ID: