The Stephen Phillips Memorial Library serves as the museum’s research center, providing access to books, manuscripts, photographs, nautical charts, maps, and boat plans. In addition to our strong collections in maritime history, with an emphasis on mid-coast Maine, we also have important collections in Maine history and genealogy.
The library is at 11 Church Street, Searsport. The library does not lend materials: all research is conducted in the reading room, which is handicapped-accessible.
To check the Phillips Library’s catalogued holdings, you may search the SOLAR Catalog database. We are one of two libraries in the database from Waldo County.
All inquiries should be directed to Collections Manager Cipperly Good: email email@example.com or 207-548-2529 ext.212
The library is open year-round by appointment. Please call or e-mail Cipperly Good at firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment.
There is a flat $25.00 charge for inquiries that take more than a few minutes to answer. Photocopies are 25 cents per page.
The Stephen Phillips Memorial Library is a resource for serious researchers of the U.S. maritime industry and local history. Among tens of thousands of original documents, the archives include:
- Ships logs, accounts and personal papers of Searsport and Belfast seafaring families from the 19th and early 20th centuries
- Business records of Searsport merchants and shipping agents, 1860s-1900, documenting nearly every aspect of the nineteenth century shipping economy
- Congregational Church records of Belfast (1796-1911) and Searsport (1815-1970)
- Genealogical research collections for Waldo County, including family history for approximately 1,000 surnames and indexed transcripts of census records, vital records and cemetery lists
- Microfilm copies of local newspapers dating from 1829 and an obituaries index for the Belfast Republican Journal up to 1890
Access to archived materials is by prior arrangement only. For details, call 207-548-2529 or email email@example.com.