This c. 1920 photo shows buildings that were destroyed or damaged in the May 1938 town fire. At the far left is the Preble store, later owned by Maurice Caler; Leslie Bridgeham’s barbershop and the Addison Grain Store occupied it. C.H. Small, a general store, also sold stoves.
The Granville Chase Store was the company store of the Chase sawmill enterprises in Baring, Maine. As with many general stores of its time, it doubled as the local post office.
This store was built about 1925 by Guy Herrick Carver, Sr. It burned in 1930 as a result of an electrical fire.
In 1870 Elder Josiah Ells, a missionary from the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Saints, came to Jonesport from Pennsylvania. He baptized five local people
The large home in this c. 1910 photo was built by Freeman Willis “Will” Beal and his wife Elizabeth Maria “Lizzie” (Alley) Beal in the mid 1880s. They were married on December 1, 1884. “Will” was the fifth child of Barnabas Coffin “Tall Barney” Beal and Phebe Ann (Stanwood) Beal.
This store served the Bucks Harbor community for several decades as a business and community gathering place. It was originally the Ames Store. Supplies for the store arrived on boats and were brought up by wagon to the store.
In this c. 1910 photo taken from the St. Stephen shore, a steamship, possibly the Henry Eaton, is docked at the upper landing in Calais. The Calais end of the international bridge can be seen to the far right. Steamships made daily round trips from Calais to Robbinston, St. Andrews and Eastport.
This Queen Anne style house was built about 1880 for Henry H. Bowles by noted Cherryfield architect and builder Charles Allen. It stood out
When lumber was king in Cherryfield, the banks of the Narragaugus River were thick with lumber awaiting shipment. In the decades after the Civil War, local mills produced 12 to 15 million board feet of lumber a year as well as other wood products.
When Thomas Ruggles’ new Federal style house was completed in 1820, it was praised as one of the most exquisite homes in Maine. After coming to Maine from Rochester, Massachusetts, in the late 1790s to claim a land grant,
[see previous image, Ruggles House, Columbia Falls,, Me. 7T., Catalog Number LB2007.1.100420] Catalog Number LB2007.1.100423
This c. 1910 view from Gilman’s Point shows Cutler’s wharfs. At the time the inner harbor was a busy place, with canneries, warehouses, and wharves
This c. 1910 view of Cutler’s inner harbor was taken from Eastern Nubble. Facing seaward is Lookout Hill, used by St. John, New Brunswick pilots to spot incoming ships.
The Danforth Garage was located on Depot Street between the Mark Lodge residence (first known as a boarding house of William Foss) and the residence of Mancil Gillis on the left. The building was covered with metal, which was a rarity in this woods town.
The majestic Union Hall came into being due to the hard work and planning of the Union Hall Corporation. It was completed in 1888.
The Pushee Brothers shipyard operated from 1890 to about 1930 at Hinckley Shore in Dennysville. It built renowned four-masted schooners, Passamaquoddy Bay ferries, lobster smacks, and pleasure boats.