This c. 1910 view of Cutler’s inner harbor was taken from Eastern Nubble. Facing seaward is Lookout Hill, used by St. John, New Brunswick pilots to spot incoming ships. The rocky point, off which boats are moored, is Gilman’s Point, also known as Pig Turd Point. A. P. Gilman’s house is across the road from the point and his blacksmith shop to its right.
Cutler has always been a fishing town, but at the turn of the century it was also a shipping point for lumber, ice, and sardines. Williams’ sardine factory is shown on Shipyard Point, jutting out into the harbor. The Bangs also had a sardine cannery in the row of wharves.
The steeple of the Methodist Church is visible on the hill just outside town; a new Methodist Church, across the road from the harbor, was dedicated in 1913. The road through town was paved in the 1930s. In 1891 the town voted to pay Western Union Telegraph Co. $300 to wire up Cutler and to allow New England Telephone and Telegraph Company to erect and maintain poles. Electricity did not come until 1942, however.
Caption information provided by Linda Throckmorton