This was the first of two barges built in Camden for WWII, named Pine Tree #1, shown here on the ways at Camden Shipbuilding company just prior to launch on February 8, 1943. She was christened by first lady Eleanor Roosevelt. At 194 feet, she was the largest wooden vessel built in the nation since the 1920s. James P. Stevens superintended the construction of the barge, built to carry coal. Another wartime vessel, the APc (on ways at left), was overseen by Rockland Boat Shop’s Axel Gronros.
Catalog Number LB2013.21.183