Midcoast Maine-based printmakers William and Estelle Shevis were mainstays of the post-war Maine art scene, helping to found the Haystack Mountain School of Crafts and the Maine Center for Contemporary Art.
William (known as Shevis) was from Scotland; Estelle was from Connecticut and Massachusetts. They married in 1938; after living a few years in New York, they moved to Maine in 1945. They set up a barn studio for silk-screening and block-printing cards. They lived close to the land, growing vegetables and raising livestock; they also continuously made art, and their artwork was featured in many magazines and books. They spent winters in Mexico, returning to Maine for the warmer months. They moved from Belmont to Camden, Maine, where they established a small shop and gallery to sell their art. Shevis died in 2010 at the age of 96; his 2-part candid and humorous memoir, “Stumbling into Maine and Staying,” was published in 2000. His work has been shown at the Museum of Modern Art, the Metropolitan Museum, the Library of Congress, the Farnsworth Museum, and the Carnegie Institute, among other places.Browse Images