Penobscot Marine Museum in Searsport seeks a contract archivist (1099) for 1,000 hours in 2023/2024. The position, working with our single volume manuscript collection, will fulfill our goal to create online and hard-copy finding aids accessible in-house, locally, within State of Maine, and nationally. This is an excellent opportunity for professionals looking for short-term work. The Project Archivist will have the skills and expertise to complete the project, consulting with the Richard Saltonstall Jr. Curator of Maritime History (Curator) on Penobscot Marine Museum’s cataloguing conventions and institutional history of the archive. The Contract Archivist will report to the Curator.
- Create complete catalog records for approximately 500 single volume manuscripts
- Create template for robust bound manuscript catalog records that meet Library of Congress’ National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections standards
- Attach subject headings to catalog records that identify documents relevant to Museum’s exhibits, program, and scholarship themes
- Provide access online to records locally, within State of Maine, and nationally
- Create and upload records for Maine InfoNet Library System software and National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections
- Reunite single volumes with larger collections and update the collections-level finding aids
Contract Length and Dates:
- 1,000 hours
- Potential start date of Summer 2023 to potential end date of Summer 2024
- Work 20-40 hours a week between 9am and 5pm on weekdays Qualifications:
- Graduate of master’s level program in archival studies, library science with a concentration in archives and special collections, museum studies, history, public history, or equivalent experience in the archival field.
- At least 2 years internship or work experience in the archives field
- Interest in maritime history and/or Maine 19th century history
- Excellent computer skills
- Familiarity with PastPerfect a plus, training available
- Must be able to climb stairs
- Proficiency in proper archival handling and rehousing standards
- Self-sufficient, yet willing to ask for assistance from and troubleshoot roadblocks with collections staff.
- 1,000 project hours at $18/hour
Review of applicants will begin June 28, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled. Please submit a coverletter, resume, finding aid sample, and three references to Cipperly Good, email@example.com.