Dating from about 1920, this view of upper Main Street in Belfast terminates at the public square in front of the Post Office and Custom House, a local landmark since the 1850s.

Businesses include the dry goods establishment of James H. Howes at the left and a drug store – soda fountain and an Edison phonograph dealer at the right.

While these and other stores have vanished, the solid nineteenth century brick buildings that line Main Street have adapted to decades of change and remain largely intact today as part of one of Maine’s most well-preserved downtowns.

Catalog Number LB2007.1.100118