Penobscot Marine Museum seeks an Administrative Assistant for a 20 hour a week year-round position. The position is primarily weekdays, but with occasional evenings and weekends required. The Administrative Assistant is primarily responsible for serving as the Museum receptionist and handling the office tasks necessary for daily operations, meetings, and events across Museum departments.
Penobscot Marine Museum seeks a seasonal Sales Coordinator for 40 hours per week, May through October. The Sales Coordinator is primarily responsible for overseeing the Museum Store, online sales, and wholesale products.
Project Archivist Position
The Penobscot Marine Museum seeks a contract archivist for 575 hours in 2020. The position will fulfill our goal to make our archives searchable online by creating finding aids and web catalog descriptions for our online collections catalog. This is an excellent opportunity for professionals looking for short-term work. The Project Archivist will have the skills and expertise to complete the project, consulting with the Curator on Penobscot Marine Museum’s cataloguing conventions and institutional history of the archive. The Contract Archivist will work with a veteran team of Archives volunteers to complete task and will report to the Curator.
Penobscot Marine Museum seeks a year-round cleaning person. During the museum’s open season, mid-May through October, the position requires 6 hours of commitment per week, and 3 hours a week the remainder of the year. Duties will include vacuuming, sweeping, dusting, and cleaning restrooms. The Museum will provide all cleaning products.
To apply, fill out application and email to Michelle Pierce, email@example.com, or mail to Penobscot Marine Museum, P.O. Box 498, Searsport, ME 04974. Review of applications will begin on January 31.
Emerging Museum Professional Internship (paid)
The Penobscot Marine Museum seeks two full-time museum interns for summer 2020. These are general museum internships designed for undergrad or graduate students or recent graduates to gain hands-on work experience in the daily operations of a medium-sized museum. Interns will actively participate in multiple departments including visitor’s services, education, curatorial, marketing, and photo archives. This is an excellent opportunity for a student who would like to learn more about the variety of jobs available in the museum field and also can be tailored for a more specific experience. About 40% of the internship will be public programming and the remaining 60% will be spent on other projects. These internships will include professional development field trips to four other Maine museums.
Geiger Museum Exploration Internship (paid)
The Penobscot Marine Museum seeks a high school or early college student interested in a part-time internship for summer 2019. This internship provides hands-on work experience in the daily operations of a medium-sized museum. The intern will actively participate in multiple departments including visitor’s services, education, curatorial, marketing, and photo archives. This is an excellent opportunity for a student with a great sense of curiosity who would like to learn more about what goes on behind-the-scenes and the unique jobs available in the museum field. This internship will include professional development field trips to four other Maine museums.
Short-term Departmental Internships (unpaid)
The Penobscot Marine Museum also offers unpaid internships for students looking to gain specific experiences in museum departments such as photo archives, curatorial, marketing, and museum education. Please contact Jeana Ganskop at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Interpretation is “an educational activity which aims to reveal meaning and relationships through the use of original objects, by firsthand experience, and by illustrative media, rather than simply to communicate factual information.” (Tilden, 1957, p. 8)
The Penobscot Marine Museum is seeking individuals with an interest in history and/or sailing to work as interpreters on our 3 acre museum campus. These positions are seasonal (May-October), with employment up to 5 days per week. Rare off-season hours may be available. Training is provided. Qualified candidates will demonstrate strong communication skills and be comfortable speaking in a one-on-one or group setting. Being a team player and engaging with the public, including children, are essential qualities. Applications are accepted year-round. In February, seasonal staffing needs are assessed. If additional interpretive staff is required, review of applicants will begin at that time and will continue until the positions are filled.